Wednesday 14 March 2012

A house owner in name only

(A Letter to Editor by a Reader of the Star newspaper and published on 1st March 2012, page49)


IT was with bemusement that I read recent reports about various government departments achieving their Key National Result Areas (KNRAs) targets under the Government Transformation Plan (GTP).
My own experience makes me wonder if the KNRAs set are worthy targets, if performance measures are accurately reported, or if my own experiences are an exception.
Almost two years ago, I purchased a house in Klang from a developer. This was a fully completed property and the developer assured me that the Certificate of Fitness (CF) was expected in a matter of weeks.
Almost two years later, I am still waiting. In the meantime, I have had to pay substantial sums in interest payment as the bulk of the bank loan was disbursed since the property was deemed complete.
I also have to pay assessment and quit rent for a house I do not have the keys to. And, given current laws, I have no recourse to remedy or justice.
I would like to suggest that a distinction be made in the waiting period before a developer has to compensate buyers for late delivery for houses that are yet to be built and for completed property. The latter, I suggest should be weeks, and not more than three months.
In addition, the blame game should end and all parties need to get their act together, from developers to government departments, the electric utility board (TNB), water works (Syabas) and the town councils (MPK).
There should be no excuse for unnecessary roadblocks and inordinate delays for routine service operations as these only provide room for unscrupulous, dishonest, unethical practices, and leave helpless customers frustrated, inconvenienced and victimised.
Only when we have prompt, efficient, professional service delivery that can be objectively measured through well-developed KNRAs and KPIs can we begin to claim that we are on the way to achieving the GTP.
DISAPPOINTED,
Klang.

No comments:

Post a Comment